It’s the same story every year, isn’t it? We all make mistakes, decide we need to make positive changes, or just want to do something different, leading to new year resolutions. The saying “new year, new me” is a little (ok very) cliché, and like a lot of people say that but don’t end up changing much, if at all. 2020 proved to be a challenging year for all and most of us managed to have more than just lockdown to worry about, myself included. Now, 2021 is upon us, and it is a frightening new world we live in.
I’ve had a lot to think about, and now I need to make some goals for this year. I have goals for the decade that I set at the end of 2019, but I don’t have much in the way of short-term goals. So this list is here, more as a way to keep myself accountable than anything, but also to prove to myself that I am capable of recovering and moving forward.
- Get a job
- Pretty obvious for this one. I’m fresh out of uni and I need a job. Hopefully I get one as a game dev, but we’ll have to see how things pan out.
- Screw my head on straight
- The last few months have been tumultuous for me. I’ve had very mild anxiety and depression for some years now, not enough to have needed any help, but enough to be occasionally noticed. However lately, it’s been worse. Way worse. I’ve had so much consume my mind in the last few months that I started slipping and losing control of my own thoughts. For a while there, I even believed I could get it under control on my own. Turns out I needed a more… distressing and final incident to learn how deep this went. So I’ve organised a psych to see what I can do to improve my situation and I want to get to the end of the year saying that I am in control.
- Pay off at least 50% of my HECS debt
- This one is self-explanatory, and relies on getting a job. But I want this debt out of my hair ASAP. I have the luxury of being able to do that, with very few costs to otherwise worry about, so I feel this is very achievable. Ideally I’d pay off all of it, but we’ll have to wait and see…
- Bowl 300
- Easy enough, right? Of course, this will depend on if the pandemic causes another lockdown here, but I’m hopeful that this year I’ll be able to bowl almost as much as I used to, giving myself ample opportunity to achieve that golden score.
- Increase my bowling pace (cricket)
- I want to become a better bowler, so to do that, I need to improve various facets. I feel increasing my pace will play a good part in improving my wicket-taking ability, cause I always seem to get hit around due to my slower pace right now.
- Complete my Breakout Urban Android game
- It’s been nearly a year since I picked it up and then dropped it. I bought the Play Store developer thingy and I still haven’t finished the game. I need to actually do something about it so it gets done and on the store.
- Participate in at least 3 game jams
- Unless I get myself a job that satisfies my cravings to make games, I’m thinking 3 is a good number. GGJ this month is a definite contender to be partaken in, I just need to get a team together. Then it’ll probably be the 2 LD jams in April and October? We’ll have to wait and see.
- Hug my dad again
- This one has more private reasoning, but let’s just say some extenuating circumstances has made this impossible until probably April. This will guarantee-ably be achieved unless something goes horribly wrong, but I like having this goal here, for something positive to look forward to.
8 goals ain’t bad. All of them achievable this year, too. Woo! Go me!
*Secret goal achieved: Set goals for 2021*
Seriously though, I’m happy with this list. Each goal may have smaller goals to help achieve the larger goals, but I won’t list that here. Anyway, that’s all from me for now, hope y’all had a safe and happy transition to
2020 pt. 2 2021. Make sure you have your own goals for the year, too. Finally, let’s make 2021 the year where the pandemic is beat!